A Human Strategy #510: Realism, Eternity ... or something more?

510

I would understand this foreign reality but that I no longer trust my interpreter.  I have decided to stop listening to the translation and to observe directly the gestures and expressions as they manifest themselves.  It is something like the expression of an exotic dance: I can take pleasure in it, but I have no adequate explanation for that expression ... no opportunity to sit back and meditate, for that damned interpreter keeps butting in and babbling on and on with his nonsense of “that something more from this something less” ... with his damned leaps: “Eternity!  Infinity!”  I am all too painfully aware of the explanation, that it never equals the beauty of the dance itself.  Experience cloys with the slightest explanation.  There is always something too much, and I begin to suspect that this something too much is nothing other than the addition of Eternity.  It has been a very slow process, but I am finally getting my interpreter to acknowledge the disparity between what he says and what I see, and so now he is making statements like, “Man is limited.  Man wants more.  This is beautiful.”  But then I catch myself listening again.

Popular posts from this blog

A valuable book, A Human Strategy, aphorism 387

A theory of art