That the “self” is not real, as an experience, is false, but otherwise, true

I am completely human.  “I” am an illusion produced by something best understood as “machinery” and not at all like an independent “spirit.”  “I” am a projection of a projector. My entire consciousness is in fact a projection wholly dependent upon what is humanly understood as "machinery." I cannot escape being this projection: my machinery/senses force "perception" upon all intelligent action and social communication. As a consequence, there is no intelligent human experience which does not include a “perceiver,” an experience of a "self" that is distinct from what is perceived.  The claim that the “self” is not real, as an experience, is false, but otherwise, true.  This is neither a paradox, nor a contradiction.

Popular posts from this blog

A valuable book, A Human Strategy, aphorism 387

A theory of art