From my point of view, The Mechanics of Virtue, , aphorism 278

278

From my point of view, it shows as much taste to sniff the cork as to stick it up my nose, but nonetheless I do sniff it to avoid putting my “non-conformity” on display. I feel pretty much the same way about dancing. I would just as soon dance to rock and roll as leap up and down naked to the beat of hollow logs, but refusing to dance puts myself on display. A universally acknowledged, “elegant” ballroom dance leaves me relishing the sights and sounds consequent of hollow logs, but I must don the tuxedo and go through the steps of convention. My taste often requires more conformity than nonconformity. For personally I find self-righteous behavior tasteless, and to resist such through a deceitful conformity suits my taste better than masking my urge for prominent display with “my highest principles.” I am a hypocrite either way and acknowledge that I yield ... but not without a hint of a principle that is a sort of self-righteousness of its own, but it suits my taste, my sense of dignity....

Popular posts from this blog

A valuable book, A Human Strategy, aphorism 387

A theory of art