this banished morality, A Human Strategy, Matt Berry, aphorism 236

236
Thus far I have found myself rooted in middle-class soil and have dutifully and passionately continued the battle for the leveling of all classes and cultures.  However, lately I have had a thousand modern conveniences as my servants, too much time for thinking, and much too much time for leisure.  I have become bored and even begin to take on, comically enough, aristocratic airs ... and with this first step back in time, toward this banished morality, the comedy plays itself out: “The king is dead ... the throne is vacant ... can I do this without hurting anybody?”  All in my audience split their sides with laughter as I apologize for each harmless step forward ... like a peasant of the lowest order, who still believes he must be granted the right to self-possession before he can claim it.







Popular posts from this blog

A valuable book, A Human Strategy, aphorism 387

A theory of art