A Human Strategy, Matt Berry, 140

140
This section is an important tack, in the nautical sense, against what I call the “surface,” that reality which is only immediate and does not include “repetition.”  
This is a very difficult and hazardous attempt to sail against a violent wind.  It would be easy to imagine that I am rejecting the physical world ... rejecting the immediate reality; however, I assert that our “immediate reality” is a consequence of human perception.  More importantly, I assert that there are additional, simultaneous, and equally valid perspectives within our total reality.  (Again, I am not trying to set up “Metaphysics” here or paint a door onto a prison wall.  I am speaking only in terms of physiological perception.)  
As a metaphor, consider the following: the left eye sees from one angle and the right eye from another.  They both look upon a single object, however, and the brain somehow manages to unify the separate perspectives into “one mental object” so perfectly that we rarely make note that we are using two separate perspectives.  And this dual perspective yields us a sense for depth in our world.  Just so, our multiple perspectives on reality yield us a sense for “meaningfulness” ... although we are rarely aware that we are bringing multiple perspectives into a single instance.

In short, my “spiritual turning point” is a confession that an important variable has been left out of my human equation.






Popular posts from this blog

A valuable book, A Human Strategy, aphorism 387

A theory of art