A Human Strategy, Matt Berry aphorism 103

103
I will not stand and stare at that chalkboard for too long.  I want to thrust myself forward, not to linger or thrash about in the turbulence of argument and equation.  Mere argument offers justification, which is only a thrashing about to stay afloat.  It does not care for the phenomenon of force.  It cares little that even iron will float with enough velocity.  As a swimmer who propels himself forward by the movement of his own limbs, by pushing away, so do I push away each new argument and justification.  An argument supports me only as it propels me ... only as I leave it behind.  

Only in this manner can I skim the surface with ease and move in my chosen direction.  I do not want to tread, thinking I have actually defined and justified myself, calculating that I have thereby fixed myself to the globe, while the current of the sea sends me five hundred miles south.  







Popular posts from this blog

A valuable book, A Human Strategy, aphorism 387

A theory of art