A Human Strategy, aphorism 36, Matt Berry

36
If there is no God, then how can I oppose his non-existence?      I am to take a stand, it seems, upon what is not there and so fall comically.
If there is no God, then “God” was only a word ... a representation of something Human.  What is that something?
Hope of compensation?  Is this life so horrible?  And when it is indeed horrible, does this life have no compensation for those horrors?
Hope of Heaven?  Is Hope a business contract where I am to forgo the luxury in this world so that I might have more luxury in the next?
Immortality?  Is this another clause in the business contract, where I am to serve my master faithfully only if I am guaranteed an Eternal Pension?  If I received no such guarantee, would I forsake my God?  Is Hope cowardice?  Does the word “God” represent nothing more than a Human fear of mortality?
If God is not the other-worldly, then perhaps God is that which persists in the absence of the above mentioned vices.  Other-worldliness opposes my sincerity.  It is the great enemy to my love of this world.







Popular posts from this blog

A valuable book, A Human Strategy, aphorism 387

A theory of art